Equine Haptoglobin Test
Make useful and accurate decisions by testing
Acute Phase Proteins
Horses are an important part of many people’s lives and a big industry in many regions. We need them as much as they need us. That is why LifeAssays® AB has developed a unique patented rapid test for Equine Haptoglobin. By providing veterinary practitioners with this valuable laboratory test that can be performed in-house, early disease intervention and more effective treatment can be provided for horses, helping them to live happier and healthier lives.
The immediate detection of an inflammatory response and the monitoring of its clinical course are primary challenges for veterinary medicine. The search for early inflammation markers has therefore been an important focus of veterinary medical research. Special attention has been placed on the identification of biochemical parameters that have the specificity and sensitivity to both signal the presence and evaluate the intensity of inflammatory responses. Acute Phase Proteins are a group of biological markers that show a direct response to acute inflammation and a rapid decrease in concentrations upon removal of inflammation.
Positive acute phase protein
Haptoglobin is a so-called positive acute phase protein, i.e. it increases when the inflammatory system is stimulated. Examples of where increased equine serum haptoglobin concentrations can be seen include:
- chronic inflammatory diseases
- post-operative infections
- exposure to equine influenza virus strain 2
- non-infectious arthritis
- travelling sickness
- colic and equine exertional rhabdomyolysis (azoturia)
Find out in just 11 minutes
The LifeAssays Equine Haptoglobin Test is fast and easy. Use this quantitative and accurate test before the race or training session, or in regular veterinary practice to pick up on a systemic inflammation.
- Rule in/rule out inflammatory disease.
- Determine the extensiveness of an inflammation.
- Determine whether or not a selected treatment is effective.
- Pre-performance testing with the LifeAssays test helps prevent disappointment. Acute phase proteins are compared to WBC and fibrinogen – a much faster, more reliable and accurate method to detect systemic inflammation.
Easy-to-use point-of-care testing
LifeAssays® new haptoglobin test on the VetReader supports clinics, trainers, owners, racetrack officials, etc., along with their veterinarians in making decisions regarding the health of a horse.
The LifeAssays® test system makes quick, easy and correct test results available also outside the professional laboratory and can thus be used during training, prior to travelling to a race, or even at the racetrack.
- Serum samples
- Short measurement time:
- Linear range:
- Quantitative: clear relation of results to cut-off value (200)
- Measuring range may be increased by further dilution of the sample
- Superior non-optical system
|Haptoglobin mg/dL||CV (%)|